The Children's Museum of Tacoma is a cornerstone of early education in the South Puget Sound region. The Museum's fun, inviting staff work diligently to provide responsive, progressive, and inclusive programs that allow children to test their independence and gain self-confidence through the arts, sciences, and creative play and present adults and parents with the tools to understand and support the young children in their lives.
Interested in helping the Museum celebrate the power of play in the life-long journey of learning? Please check back frequently for opportunities.
now hiring: Playguides
Accepting applications until 5 p.m. on October 23, 2014
Part-time employment, approximately 20-30 hours per week.
Children's Museum of Tacoma PlayGuides are the most public faces of the Museum and responsible for providing positive, safe, and playful experiences for our little visitors and caregivers. Playing with our little visitors and their adults is the major function of this position, along with maintaining the cleanliness and safety of the Museum.
- Cheerfully and enthusiastically interact with visitors
- Be creative, spontaneous, inventive, flexible and able to adapt activities for varying age ranges.
- Understand that play is an important part of learning.
- Promote the culture, values and mission of the Children’s Museum of Tacoma.
- Follow the Children’s Museum of Tacoma’s operational policies and procedures, including those for cash handling and safety and security.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area, dining area, lobby, storage rooms and restrooms.
- Contribute to a positive team environment.
- Able to work day shifts, some evening shifts, weekdays and weekends
Summary of Experience
- No previous experience required
- Previous experience working with children is a plus
- Previous experience with cash handling, working at a register, or as a barista is a plus
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Comfortable with interacting with children and their adults.
- Must be able to pass a background check prior to employment
- Constant standing/walking
- Occasional pushing, pulling, lifting or carrying up to 40 lbs
- Occasional ascending or descending ladders, stairs, ramps
- Constant computer/POS Register and bar equipment usage
- Constant reaching, turning, and performing precision work around bar area
Compensation: Starting wage is 9.32/hour, periodic increases upon satisfactory evaluation. This is position does not qualify for benefits.
Submit cover letter (details below) and resume by 5 p.m. on October 23, 2014 to:
Brenda Morrison, Deputy Director
1501 Pacific Ave, Ste. 202
Tacoma, WA 98402
In the cover letter please include the following:
- Describe your experience with customer service.
- Describe why you would like to work with children.
- Describe why you would like to work for the Children’s Museum of Tacoma.
- Describe what sets you apart from other candidates.